Grade 9 Johnson HORIZONS Scholarship opportunity:
- This year, Johnson Inc., is offering 50 scholarships to grade 9 students across the province, each valued at $1200. Selected candidates are welcomed into a leadership development program that will work with them throughout high school and will extend into their time at Memorial University.
- Interested students may complete the Application Form (see below) and submit it to Ms. Brenton in the Guidance Area by March 20.
- Application Form
Junior High Math Help Centre is now OPEN
- During lunchtimes in Room 122 we will be hosting a free Math Help Centre for our students, please see schedule below:
- Days 1,8: Grade 7
- Days 4,11: Grade 8
- Days 7, 14: Day 9
Attention Grade 9 students and Parents/Guardians
- We are starting the process of course selection for 2015-2016. To help students and parents/guardians understand Grade 10 course offerings, and the high school credit system, an important information session is being held Thursday, February 26 at 7:00 pm in the school’s Learning Resource Centre. All Grade 9 students and their parents/guardians are urged to attend this meeting.
Term 2 Report Cards
Calculation of Principal's List: 90% minimum in each of the five core subjects*
Calculation of Honour Roll: 80% minimum in each of the five core subjects*
*Five Core Subjects: English, French, Math, Science, Social Studies
Note: Calculation of PL and HR no longer includes electives as it was felt that the amount and nature of student evaluation in these courses (short duration) was not reflective of the progress of the students throughout the year.
Calculation of Principal's List: 90% overall average
Calculation of Honour Roll: 80% overall average
February Parent Newsletter
- There will not be any classes for students for the PM session on Thursday, Feb. 19. Also, there will not be any classes for students all day Feb. 20.
- Term 2 Report Cards will be distributed Friday, Feb. 13 at 2:10 pm.
- Term 2 Parent Teacher meetings will take place Thursday, Feb. 19. Scheduling of appointments will be made available Feb. 12 via the OPTIS system, please click on the icon below to book appointments through the OPTIS system.
Parent Information Sheet for OPTIS
February 9 Activity Day Information
- On Monday, February 9 all students have the opportunity to participate in skiing, bowling, or skating activities. Students need to register for these activities by completing the attached forms. The deadline for submission is Wednesday, Feb. 4.
Public Exam Schedule
2015 Public Exam Preparation Classes
The Newfoundland and Labrador English School District will be offering a 48-hour Public Exam Preparation Program from February to June 2015. This program will be offered on Tuesday evenings (Math and Social Studies) and Wednesday evenings (English and Sciences) at Gonzaga High School, Smithville Crescent, St. John’s. There will be no classes during Easter Break and these sessions will be added to another week.
Registration will be held on Wednesday, February 11, 2015 from 7:00 to 9:00 p.m. at Gonzaga High School. Classes will start on Tuesday, February 17, 2015 from 7:00 to 10:00 p.m. Participants will be required to complete a registration form and pay the required fee of $185.00 per course at the time of registration. No refunds will be issued after March 6, 2015.
Cash/Debit/Visa/Mastercard will be available. No cheques accepted.
Registration form is attached.
For further information please call Nicole Constantine at 758-2704.
Note to Students and Parents concerning possible school closures due to inclement weather:
- If school will have a delayed opening, or if school will be closed for part of a day - a message will be sent via Twitter (@hthtigers) and the radio stations will also be informed.
Ms Carol Roberts - recipient of the Prime Minister’s Award for Teaching Excellence:
- Congratulations to Ms Carol Roberts on receiving the Prime Minister’s Award for Teaching Excellence for 2013-2014. Ms Roberts, one of our Science teachers, was one of two Newfoundland and Labrador teachers that received this prestigious award. Jack Harris, MP for St. John’s East, visited the school October 24 to present Ms Roberts with her Award.
- Please click here for the official media release from the Prime Minister’s Award Web site.
- We are so proud of our Ms. Roberts!
Grade 9 Students
Wednesday, Nov. 5 is Take our Kids to Work day for Grade 9 students and parents. This optional initiative allows the entire community-parents, teachers, employers, and workers to play a part in the career development of Gr 9 students who participate in this job shadowing experience. For more information, click here
Duke of Edinburgh Award
- The Duke of Edinburgh’s Award encourages young people to make a difference while exploring their potential, taking on new challenges and achieving success. Any student interested in information on the program or joining the group can register on line at dukeofed.org . They can also contact Mr. Grant or Ms. Whelan for further information.